Wednesday 23 June 2010

8 months

Doesn't time just fly by? Before I know it it'll be a year...

At the 8 month point I am happy to report that all is going well. I've got over the recent bumps in the road (campylobacter, drop in lung function caused by mini-rejection possibly, cold) and in the last week have been feeling, well, energetic. I've joined the local gym, have been riding my bike, have table tennis coaching tomorrow, and yesterday set an all time record on my blows at home. I'm even going to try singing in a choir this weekend - I should manage to breathe for more than a couple of notes at a time now!

Had clinic this morning and the doc had nothing much to say. It's all good. They don't want to see me for another 2 months.

Well, what can I say? I am constantly amazed, surprised and taken aback by the way I can just breathe, get on with things and not have to think constantly about my lungs and how they are functioning. Slowly they are becoming just another part of me, doing their job as nature intended without conscious thought or effort, just like my heart, liver, or any other organ. I never really believed it could be quite this transformational - I expected a quality of life improvement but who would ever dare to dream it could just fix you so completely. No pain, little treatment, just living.

Long may it continue, and to the donor, whoever you were, if you are listening from somewhere, all the thanks in the world and then some. You've given me a fine old set of bellows. To the donor family....well, that is going to take some more thought, and it is about time I invested in that thought and put pen to paper. 

6 comments:

  1. Well done Wim!!!!!!!!!!!!!XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will, I am so happy for you and your wife and family. I will draw strength from this news.

    -Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will, I had a kidney transplant 3 years ago and have been hospitalized 27 times for infections. Your blog is an inspiration to me. Sadly, it is good to know that I'm not the only one going through this. Good luck and God bless!
    Tina Hensley
    thensley@shulmanrogers.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re singing: hurrah!

    Re donor family: the words won't come easily, I'm sure - it's such a huge thing. However, your honesty and eloquence in this blog makes me think they will be moved by what you write.

    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done wim, maybe we can do a birthday meet up this year?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Showed my mum your blog today. The first thing she said was "What a handsome chap"!! That was at the wedding pic at the top - then I scrolled down to the cycling shorts photo and she said "Wow, amazing" - although I think (hope) that this was in response to me saying you had cycled 10 miles ;o)

    ReplyDelete