Friday, 22 October 2010

Donor Day

October 22nd 2009. The day before my transplant in the early hours of 23rd October, and in fact the day I got my call at ten to midnight. On this day, somewhere, probably in the South or East of England, a tragedy happened and a family lost a son, daughter, wife, husband, mother, father, brother, sister, niece, nephew, cousin... Of course I still don't know to this day the identity of my donor, but every year on this day I will feel sorrow and sympathy for that family, mixed with incredible humility and gratitude. Tomorrow I shall celebrate the first anniversary of my new life; today I mourn my donor's death. Out of death came a gift. Out of a gift came life.

This experience has been the closest thing to a miracle that there is. Please join the donor register now and let others have the chance to live and love some more. http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/

1 comment:

  1. Well said mate, I know exactly how you feel....

    ReplyDelete